SEMINAR DATES: Friday, June 14 through Sunday, June 16, 2019
SEMINAR LOCATION: Carroll University in Waukesha, WI. Check in and parent brunch will take place in the Campus Center at 101 North East Avenue. Check out will take place in the residence halls. Our closing ceremony is held in Shattuck Music Center, across the street from the Campus Center, at 218 North East Avenue.
CHECK IN: Friday, June, 14th from 7:15-8:15am at the Campus Center. Early check in is available with pre-registration and a $30 fee on Thursday night from 7:30-9:30pm at the Campus Center.
CHECK OUT: Sunday, June 16, 1:30pm at the residence halls. Females will be housed in North Bergstrom Hall. Males will be housed in Kilgour Hall.
PARKING: Parking in all campus lots is free. For check in, parent brunch and closing ceremonies parking is available in the Campus Center parking lot. If that lot is full, there is a lot available one block away adjacent to the Steel/Swarthout buildings off of East Avenue. For check out, Bergstrom and Kilgour residence halls are only one block away from the Campus Center so you can park there or there is a lot behind the residence halls accessible off of East College Avenue or Laflin Street.
IMPORTANT TIMES FOR PARENT EVENTS: The Parent Brunch and Information Session is on Sunday, June 16 at 11:00am in the Center Campus; check in for brunch is from 10:30-10:45am. Closing ceremonies are on Sunday, June 16 from 12:30-1:30pm in the Shattuck Music Center. These buildings are within walking distance of each other so if you come for brunch, you will not need to move your car to a different parking lot for the closing ceremony.
TRANSPORTATION: Each student leader, along with their family, is responsible for their own transportation to and from Carroll University. If a participant drives themselves, we will collect their car keys as they check-in and return them upon check out. If you need assistance with transportation to or from the seminar, please indicate this during your registration process and our Director of Transportation will contact you. We will help connect you with others in your area to arrange for a car pool. Parents, if you are willing to drive another participant, this is greatly appreciated and can make the difference in a young leader’s ability to attend seminar. We want to make sure that everyone has the transportation needed to attend seminar! If you are willing help another young leader get to seminar, please indicate this on your child’s registration.
ITEMS TO BRING:
- Consent form – filled out & signed
- You must bring your own linens: twin bed sheets or a sleeping bag, a pillow
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, deodorant)
- Clothing – see below for suggested attire
- Sunscreen and a refillable water bottle as some activities take place outdoors
- A fan is suggested (the residence halls are not air conditioned)
- Talent Show – We will have a talent show on Saturday night. If you would like to perform, please bring any necessary items (instrument, music/CD, sheet music); a piano will be available. We welcome all types of talent and have had all types of performances in the past – singers, dancers, musicians, groups skits, dramatic readings, comedians, impersonations, spoken word, martial arts demonstrations, gymnastics, jugglers – everyone is welcome to share their unique talents!
- On Sunday morning there will be an opportunity for quiet personal reflection so you may want to bring a book, music with headphones (not on a phone) or spiritual reading/reflection materials.
WEEKEND ATTIRE: Dress will be casual throughout the seminar except for Sunday, which is a dress up day. Appropriate Sunday attire would be dress pants, collared/dress shirt (polo or dress shirt – suits and ties are not required), dress, or skirt.
For the rest of the weekend:
- Shorts and t-shirts are perfectly acceptable!
- You may want a pair of flip flops to wear around the residence hall at night and in the shower.
- We will be in air-conditioned areas for much of the seminar so you may want a light jacket or sweatshirt.
- There is a Hawaiian themed dance on Friday night! Please bring your favorite Hawaiian shirt or other appropriate attire!
- Please bring one set of outside work clothes (pants and closed toed shoes). We will be doing volunteer projects on Saturday and some of our volunteer activities may get you a little bit dirty.
CELL PHONES: WILS is designed to be a personally interactive experience so we have a strict cell phone policy. Aside from use in your room at night or discreet use as a camera to capture some memories outside of structured activities, cell phone use during seminar activities is strictly prohibited. Emergency numbers are below if your parents need to contact you during the day.
MONEY: Although the entire seminar is paid for by donations, you may want to bring some money for items that the WILS Alumni Association will be selling like t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. These are excellent keepsakes! Vending machines are also available for late night snacks.
CONTACT EMAIL: Please direct all questions to our seminar co-chairs Sonja Weiskircher and Hailey Erdman via email at SeminarChair@wils.us. WILS is a 100% volunteer organization and all of our staff work full time jobs outside of volunteering hundreds of hours with WILS so please allow a couple of business days for a response. Please note that you will receive a quicker response via email versus phone prior to seminar. In case of an emergency during the seminar, a cell phone number for our seminar co-chair, Sonja Weiskircher, was provided in your registration email. During seminar you can also reach the Carroll University Campus Center operator at 262-524-7373.